Levels of Development Relevance
Top Essence Pick
Show as Example
Jun 8, 2022 2:27 AM
Dr. Don Shirley, a 1
- classical pianist — refinement, chopin, etc... plays the "right" kind of music and feels he has to stoop to play the popular kind that he plays for audiences (1→4); hasn't listened to the pop music on the radio
- dignified, upright, demeanor of a 1 (also highly adapted to white upper class society as a black man) — perfect diction, tuxedoes, etc
- first encounter with tony in the car — asking to put out the cigarettes, hands at 10 and 2 please, etc — lots of little nitpicks. Tony's not driving "right" — he's unrefined.
- Tries to correct Tony's speech and diction. "diction as in the only way the word is ever used"
- doesn't want to eat the chicken... a competence type: "what do we do with the bones?"
- courage to choose to do the deep south tour
- won't use the outhouse
- won't let tony pollute (allows the chicken bones, but not the cup)
- won't play unless he is allowed to eat in the restaurant
- "genius isn't enough — it takes courage to change hearts"
Tony Lip, an 8
- fist fights
- cool under pressure
- "I know who I am" — rock solid sense of identity, unrefined and not at all trying to prove himself. CERTAINLY not an image type.
- Does what he needs to to stay independent, to take care of his wife and kids; takes jobs he knows he can do; reputation for "handling trouble" — bouncer, driver, other odd jobs, physical forward,
- "I ain't nobody's butler
- pride in bullshitting because he doesn't lie — and the "if you want me it's a buck twenty-five per week
- "Don't go anywhere without me" — the protector, defender
- "What do you want me to piss myself?"
- the audacity to say "i'm blacker than you" — realness type